Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!!! Days 183-184

Wearing his Captains outfit from his nurse Marianne!
Happy Mother's Day!  Whether you are celebrating it as a first-time mom like me, a mother-to-be, or with your own mother, this is a special day to celebrate the miracle of birth and relish in your own special relationship with your mom.  I know that today means a lot to me.  It's the first Mother's Day I have gotten to celebrate since Benton came tumbling into our lives way too early and way too little, but he has shown me true strength and courage every day despite incredible odds.  Our little one has not only made me a better person but also the mother I am today.
Benton banner and home-made cake pops!
 This weekend I was lucky enough to get to celebrate Benton's upcoming homecoming with my friends and family.  My best friends threw me a baby shower over Mother's Day weekend and it was just the most special shower ever.  Not only was it celebrating a birth, but it was celebrating how far Benton has come since he was born so early.  Each aspect of the shower was special from the slide show showing pictures of Benton since birth, to the hand-made banner and decorations, to the home-made cake pops to the amazing spread of food.  My friends truly outdid themselves and having all of my close friends celebrate my little miracle was so touching.  It was a long road to get to this place but getting to celebrate with everyone and have them care so deeply for my little one brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it.  I couldn't be luckier to have such amazing family and friends by my side during the past few months.

Friends from far and wide came to the baby shower!
This weekend has been one of celebration - celebrating for how far Benton has come, celebrating the special joy of being a new mother, and for celebrating mothers everywhere.  As I write this I am tearing up because this day is just so special to me.  As one of the other NICU moms said "We've been through hell for these sweet babies" but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Mother's Day photo op

No comments:

Post a Comment