Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Giving Thanks on World Prematurity Day

Today is world prematurity day so I wanted to take a moment to reflect on life’s blessings.  This morning I re-read my blog post from last year and all I can say is “Wow”.  Wow - Benton has come so far to meet many of the milestones I yearned for last year.  Wow - Time truly does begin to heal all wounds, as my memories of the NICU have slowly begun to fade and today’s precious moments take their place.  Wow - Sometimes I can’t believe how truly blessed and lucky we are to have Benton in our lives today.

I write this post crying.  Crying because I am so utterly grateful to have my sweet, sweet boy in my life.  It has been over two years since Benton was born and looking at my son now you could almost forget his traumatic start to life.  Reading some of my previous posts put this in jarring perspective - God, we are so lucky to have him here today healthy and thriving.  Today, Benton is walking, he’s eating purees like a champ, he’s started to drink from a sippy cup, and he is fully oxygen free (even at night!!).  It’s incredible how much difference each year truly makes.  Compare this to many sleepless nights calling the NICU desperate for my son to be doing better than my last call; when doctors were telling us there was no hope for our son; and days upon days, weeks upon weeks, months upon months in the hospital.  God does provide miracles.  Benton is living proof.

Walking in the Park
So today, on World Prematurity Day, remember that miracles do happen.  That love and modern medicine combined can save babies born far too early.  I can’t thank Benton’s doctors, nurses, and respiratory therapists enough for everything they did for my son.  So today I give thanks.  Thanks big and small to everyone who has supported us these past two years.  Without your love and support we would not be where we are today.
Family Portrait



5 comments:

  1. I've been checking your blog for updates since the last great breakthrough, hoping for more good news with Benton's progress. I really became invested in your story over the last two years - even moreso once I started planning a family (I'm 21 weeks along now!), when you think most about the complications that could arise. It's been a great adventure following your adventure - thank you!
    - C in CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking the blog! We love hearing from folks who have followed our story. Congrats on your pregnancy! I am going to be adding some more blog posts in the coming weeks to fill everyone in on our adventures since August so feel free to look for those additions.

      Delete
  2. Great! You're on my rotating list of blogs I read so I'll look out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I'm so happy to see Benton's adorable face tube free and see pictures of him walking around. Nate and I are so happy for you and your growing family, and we send our love and prayers for a long and healthy pregnancy. ♡ Sarah Greenwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I'm so happy to see Benton's adorable face tube free and see pictures of him walking around. Nate and I are so happy for you and your growing family, and we send our love and prayers for a long and healthy pregnancy. ♡ Sarah Greenwood

    ReplyDelete